Sugarland

David and I have concert "bucket lists". We have a few people that overlap (for example we both really want to see Dave Matthews & Rodney Adkins) and we have several that are different. Most everyone on my list is country: Carrie Underwood, Rodney Adkins, etc. David has been really great about getting tickets every summer for different people. We have seen Kenny Chesney, Brad Paisley, Toby Keith, Montgomery Gentry, Dierks Bentley, etc, etc. But one of my top, top, top picks was Sugarland. I desperately wanted to see them. They were here last year at The Big E (which is a New England Fair in Massachusetts). But I wanted to see their tour, not a fair performance. I have always wanted to see them in concert because every award show or special (of which I watch just about every single one) they seem to always go the extra mile. They put on such a fun show. Christian in his little hat and Jennifer running around the stage. I have always liked them.

So, a few months ago David bought tickets as a surprise for Sunday night. I was initially really excited about it, but with the moving and the eloping and the trip to Texas and all, it was kind of lost in the shuffle. On the way to church Sunday morning I asked David about what time we wanted to leave and he was like "Oh yeah, we have a concert tonight. I keep forgetting."
It was at the Comcast Center (the "Starplex" of CT) in Hartford. The show started at 7:30 so we left the house around 7:00. We got there in no time at all. No trouble with traffic - the parking lot where we always park was free for some reason. Parked. Walked over the bridge in perfect weather - not too hot, not too cold. Still slightly sunny. The opening act was Danny Gokey (from American Idol fame). We ended up missing him completely. We walked into the center close to 8:00. Jake Owens was already playing as we were walking up. We watched a couple of his songs. He was really good - very energetic.

While they were setting up for Sugarland, David and I tried to get a "Jayme and Michael" shot. We smiled for the camera and first shot was David with 4 extra chins. Next came me with squinty eyes. "Okay, another shot," David said, "Keep your eyes wide open." Next shot, I looked possessed with giant eyes. Forget it - we'll have to leave it to them. We couldn't get a good photo to save our lives.

Entertaining intermission over and the music starts. It's Michael Jackson music. The crowd jumps to their feet. I am so excited. We are cheering and David leans over "Why are we standing here cheering to Michael Jackson music?" That's about the last thing we said to each other for about and hour and a half. The lights came up, the music started, and they proceeded to put on a show guaranteed not to disappoint. We knew every song but one. I was bouncing on my top toes like a 13 year old most of the time. I'd look over and give David a giant grin and then right back to the music.


The set was so interesting too. It was like twisted rod-iron and odd shapes and the like. I wasn't able to get a really good shot - my camera doesn't zoom all that well. The set being so simple, was lit up constantly with colors - red, green, yellows, orange. And then would go to a subtle black and white that was so dramatic. There were not big flashy screens like in most concerts - just a single "mirror-like" screen above them so we really focused on them and the stage. You didn't feel like you were just watching tv like you do at so many others. There wasn't much in the way of "gimmicks" or video or distractions - your eyes were focused on little tiny Jennifer who seemed to command the entire stage with her giant personality and booming voice. It was everything I'd hoped for. The show started and was over before I knew it! I hated for it to end. It was definitely the best concert I've ever been to in Connecticut - even better than Montgomery Gentry. It was SO FUN!!











Comments

Jayme said…
very fun! so glad you had a good time...she's got such a pretty voice!

Popular Posts