Seventy Six Trombones ....

Seventy-six trombones led the big parade with a hundred and ten cornets close at hand. They were followed by rows and rows of...well it wasn't exactly like that, but Monday was the big Hebron Memorial Day Parade! And we had a connection: Olivia. Evan's sister, Olivia, was going to be marching in the parade with her daycare center peers. From what I heard, Evan and Olivia had been looking forward to it all week. Evan was up at 5:00 that morning. He'd been practicing his flag waves and marches. So about 10:30-10:45 or so, David and I headed down the road to meet up with Wendy, Evan and Jameson. Eric's parents were in town for the holiday and were there as well. There we sat, with two flags and a red and blue pin wheel stuck in the ground. (Evan's decorations for the event.) So we sat watching Evan really, anxiously awaiting the big moment, the start of the parade. It reminded me of a parade we saw once in Granbury, I think it was. It was very small and local and mainly little kids. But it was totally campy and silly...kinda Mayberry...and really sweet. Totally had a few Country Time lemonade moments. I thought I'd share a few photos. You can catch more of them on Facebook if you are so inclined.

Waiting for the big even to start.....Evan was excited!


There were Daisies and Cubs, Girl & Boy Scouts, little league teams and all sorts of groups. The kids were so cute!!


All the bands had to represent. They had the high school band play and the middle and elementary school bands just marched.



It wasn't all kids We had floats too! Ha.....Oh Yeah!



Then we finally saw Olivia and she was having a great time. This was taken when she spotted us.



It was funny. They walked down the street and we waved and laughed and carried on. Then they turned around and walked back. So we got to see it twice....By that time, a lot of the faces were like this. I have no idea who this little boy is, but I thought he was darling!


The parade ended with a few fire trucks - old fashioned to modern. The volunteer fire department banners on the sides. Made me think of Grandad.

We decided to have an impromptu BBQ out on the back deck so David and I went shopping and made a few simple things. Wendy and Eric came over and we grilled hamburgers and hotdogs. I talked to John that afternoon and he said,"What? No lobster? I have this notion that every holiday meal in New England involves lobster." ha. I wish that were true - I think it's my fault. I need to learn to cook it! I would have loved to have served mussels & lobster, but we had our hotdogs on New England style buns instead. David bought fireworks and they stayed and shot them off. It was a full and fun day.

Comments

Popular Posts