6 Months of Marriage and THIS???

First of all, I must say, I just love Rachael Ray. I watch all her shows from the daytime talk show to the Food Network to her new show on the Cooking Channel.  It's doing a week of cooking in one day! She gives 5 recipes that can be made ahead and re-heated later in the week. She even duplicates some ingredients so you can combine all the work of a day of cooking into all sorts of different meals that are completely different. While I rarely make the actual recipes she does , I enjoy the show - the concepts, the techniques. For example, I was inspired to make my own version of zucchini chili on Halloween when Nancy came up from this new show.  She's a cook, not a chef and I find that comforting. If she can do it, so can I. And to be perfectly honest, she has brown hair and big cheeks.  I like that! She's not too skinny, she's not too fat. She's just an "average"  size of a girl who loves to cook and eat! I like that too! ;) I like everything about her approach and technique. Her recipes are quick, easy, and relatively inexpensive. She doesn't bake and neither do I! There are no shows on baking your own bread, cakes or other ridiculous ideas like that!  She never pulls out a measuring cup - even for rice - I like her!

But I really like this new show because in the summer I don't mind hitting the grocery store everyday on the way home from work. It's sunny and warm. The food is usually grilled - fresh corn, caprese salad, salads of all kinds really - light and freshly chopped ingredients.  When it's cold out (they are predicting light snow tomorrow morning!) I don't like to stop on the way home. The car is warm and I want to stay there until I  get home! Plus, we want comfort food, warm food, food that has to be cooked longer. Soups, chili's and casseroles start hitting the menu.

So all that being said, after church we came home and I went to Wal-mart for a few things (including some  groceries). I came back and showered and starting cooking for the week. Happy as a lark, I chopped and sauteed. I made a pot of black beans and used them for chili and for my take on Panera's black bean soup! YUM! I made potato soup too with all the garnishes (bacon, cheese, chives).  I made some beef in the crock pot to eat with mashed potatoes and a veggie.  I chopped and sliced and diced! I was working away until about 3:30. I was just cleaning up and going downstairs to watch Bill and Giuliana, my new show obsession - I hope they get the house finished! ;)  when David came down from watching the ball game. The house smells AMAZING by the way...bacon and beef, onion and garlic, cumin and peppers......I wish I could take a picture of this he said as he pointed at me from head to toe. I rolled my eyes and headed downstairs to my bathroom.  I looked in the mirror, walked to my purse and grabbed the camera, walked back up to him and said "Okay, I saw myself. Take the photo."  This is what he took:


Six months of mariage and it's come to this. There was a time I didn't let him see me without full makeup! Let me just give you a "tour" here......thick, warm, fuzzy socks....pink pj pants, Troy Aikman t-shirt size X-Large, wet hair in towel from previous shower, no make-up....not pretty.....just cooking away for hours.  

My mom taught me better than that! She taught me to get up and get yourself together. And I did for church...really....But it's still a cold, lazy, football Sunday afternoon, so I compromised....I took care of my "head" and left the comfy clothes on. I'm only human afterall and just in the mood to be comfy today! ;)



And so was our Sunday.

Comments

Anonymous said…
hey, you clean up just fine..and God Bless David for his blind love for you on days like this.ha;;when you get down here we are going to find you a sweet velveteen jogging suit to wear around the house...oh it may date you about 30 years older but hey...
Anonymous said…
Hi Kimberly, Just read your blog and saw your photos. Take heart. At night I am festooned with the following outfit. Old ratty flannel nightie. Fuzzy socks. A disreputable green shirt, ragged at the cuffs and bleach spots on the front. I am still married after over fifty years. So never fear!! Momma O
Jayme said…
Michael gets the 1st picture most of the time! I never in a million years think to put on make up or do my hair unless there's somewhere I have to be. ha!
Anonymous said…
Hahaha!!!
j :)

Popular Posts