My Morning

It was a typical Thursday morning. I was running late. Threw my hair up in a ponytail, put on the clothes on the top of the “clean pile” and headed out. As I was walking out to the car, I realized I forgot my coat. I forgot my scarf, my gloves, my earmuffs. I had a jacket on, but that was it. It was too cold to turn back now. I jumped in the car. The temp on my dash read 12 degrees. I thought about going back inside and grabbing my winter gear, but decided I didn’t have the time or the desire to fight the elements. Heater on high, rear window defrost, I took off.

There was what I like to call a “Texas snow” on the ground. It hadn’t really snowed. There was a thick covering of white on everything but you could still see the grass popping through. There’s a little patch of white here and there on the sidewalk or the curb. It’s been that way for a few days. One good warm day would melt it all in no time. But it’s still cold!

I didn’t make coffee this morning. If I had, I could have kept my hands warm with the thermos. Instead I drove sitting on one hand, to keep it warm and driving with the other. When the driving hand was near frostbite, I’d switch them. Yep, it’s winter here.

I really didn’t have time, but I pulled into Bruggers for a cup of coffee anyway. I needed it. Starbucks would take too long and now that they’ve closed my beloved Tim Horton’s there aren’t many choices on the way to work. It’s that or McDonald’s since I am NOT a fan of Dunkin’ Donuts’ coffee. Anyway, I placed my order and waited. I’m not sure if it was taking especially long this morning for the 2 cars ahead of me or it just seemed that way because I was cold and running behind.

I finally pulled up to the window and reached over to grab my wallet. Didn’t see it. Dumped out my purse. It wasn’t there. Panic. I drove off before the lady could come to the window. No coat. No wallet. Is it Monday? Well, no coffee or anything else for me today.

I went over the Route 3 bridge in Glastonbury as I always do and exited to get onto I-91. I was going around the curvy exit ramp when I hit ice. In an instant, before I knew what was happening, my car was spinning 'round and 'round and all I could think as I was spinning was "I'M GOING TO HAVE MY FIRST CT WRECK AND I DON'T HAVE MY WALLET WITH ME!"  Most of you reading this have no idea where I am talking about, so I tried to create a map. (It's not crystal clear, but if you click on the photo, it will pop up bigger and you can see it a little better. I think you can click it twice to really zoom in and see.) I started from the right corner going over the bridge and then curved off that first exit to get onto the service road that would split and then merge with I-91. 


I could write this all very dramatically I'm sure, but the truth is, it all happened so fast, I'm not entirely sure what happened. There wasn't enough time for drama. I hit ice and spun out and out and out and out again. I do, however, know very well what DIDN'T happen. There was not a car right behind me, nor was I on any one's bumper coming around the exit, which is rare. Usually it's a pretty busy place to merge. I was exiting alone. There are often times cars merging (and going pretty fast I might add) from Route 3 coming in from the other direction, so it's a "merge" spot before I-91. No cars were speeding down that road. They would not have been able to stop for me had they been there. I didn’t hit a guard rail. I wasn’t left standing out in the cold with a wrecked car, no coat and no wallet. I didn’t hurt anyone and I wasn’t hurt myself. Not a scratch on the car.

I also know that I had no control over the car. I panicked. I wasn’t hitting the break or steering the wheel. The car just stopped, across two lanes, me facing the pond. I looked up and saw cars that had stopped to my passenger’s side. I put my hand up and waved like “Thanks for not killing me” and drove off. It wasn’t until I was on I-91 that my stomach cramped up and my hands started shaking.

Lucky? Coincidence? All the star aligned? I don’t think so. God took care of me and protected me big time this morning. It was just one of those things. I know how it should have been. I know how it could have been. I know what I did and how I reacted (or my lack of reaction really). There's no other explanation.  - Matthew 10:29-31

Comments

Anonymous said…
Praise God for preparing everything perfect for you and showing us all who is still taking care of you no matter where you are. I always remind my self and have for years" wherever I am, God is." see you soon g.
Anonymous said…
WHAT??? Thank goodness you are okay! The lack of caffeine WAS a good thing- you WOULD have reacted! and I'm sure you had enough adrenaline running through you afterwards to ward of the withdrawl headache! :) Even before your map, I knew exactly where you were talking about- that ramp is scary on a good day! You know your honey's gonna want to get you studded tires now, or perhaps a snow plow truck for your commute! Plows can be feminine! Take good care! Wendy
Jayme said…
yikes! thank the good Lord you're ok!!! How scary....I would have started crying as soon as I realized I was ok...ha!
Dad said…
As the comedian, Tim Hawkins, would say, here's some good parental advice, too late; "Careful!!!". I am glad that God is looking out for you. I am too far away for a "Dad, Help" phone call.
Amy said…
oh my goodness. just read this. praise God you're ok!

Popular Posts