An Eggs Benedict Kind of Morning.....

I saw this caption on http://www.tastespotting.com/ the other day:  I promise you, Hollandaise sauce isn't actually all that scary. Face your fears and make smoked salmon eggs benedict. Above it was the prettiest eggs benedict photo. I LOVE eggs benedict! I clicked on the photo and came to this site.

More photos of beautiful eggs and a step by step instruction guide. I think I can do that I thought, and then I clicked on to other things.

This morning was just an eggs benedict kind of morning. It's one of those cold winter days where I have a choice: I can either hunker down in the basement and stay in my pjs and funk all day, or I can get up and get moving. Truth is, some Saturdays I fall to the basement and the funk. But today I'm just not up for that. Today I need to keep  moving. No winter blues today...or at least if they are there I'll be too busy to notice them.  You know what I mean?

So, I remembered the post. I remembered the Hollandaise. I remembered that this year I was going to try new things....more difficult things...and I decided that I'd give a try.  I'd never made Hollandaise, or poached an egg for that matter. Oddly enough we had fresh lemon and fresh dill on hand. We had whole grain toast that I cut into circles for the english muffins. We had ham in place of the salmon. I added a little asparagus as well.  Now, all I needed was the sauce.  The recipe called for 4 egg yolks.  I knew David didn't want any, so I decided to just use 2 egg yolks and cut the recipe in half.  I'm not so sure you can do that, because there was not enough egg to really "whisk around".  My eggs were getting cooked and sticking to the bowl.  I dumped it out. Determined to succeed I tried again, with the 4 egg yolks the recipe originally called for. (6 eggs down already and I hadn't started the poaching yet!) I also lowered the heat on the water too - in case it was too high.  Perfect!!  The sauce came together beautifully! It really was easy! Why had I never tried this before?  I actually read the recipe wrong and put in a tablespoon of fresh dill, so it was dilly! (I even garnished with the extra dill I had chopped.) I used black pepper instead of cayenne and omitted the salt. Poaching eggs? A snap!! What was I scared of??

I proudly assembled my new creation. Ran and grabbed the camera and took a few shots.....ummm....there is a SKILL to taking appetizing photos of food. A skill I don't have.  I was so disappointed in the photos that came out (especially after looking at all the perfect photos like the one above).  I actually cropped one egg out of a photo and came up with this:
Mind you, this was the best one.  Looks AWFUL doesn't it?  But it was SO GOOD! I realize you can't eat this often. Well, the sauce anyway....I order them ALL THE TIME with the Hollandaise on the side.  But it was a morning for eggs benedict.  David tried a few bites, but still wasn't a fan. I gobbled up the rest and sadly poured the rest down the sink....even though I could eaten the rest with a spoon!

And now we are off to another adventure....it's a day to keep moving day! No winter blues here. I just won't stand for it today.

(Besides I need to get out and buy some more eggs!)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Kimberly, it all looks yummy to me! Mom O

Popular Posts