Dinner at Bess Bistro

David and I flew out on Wednesday night to spend a few days in Texas, a trip I had been counting the days for! We got in late and went straight to the hotel. We got up Tuesday and spent the day basically eating and walking. (Check the photo gallery, if you haven't already, for the details.) One thing I left out in the gallery (because I didn't have any photos) was Thursday night. We went to Bess Bistro On Pecan for dinner. I had seen it....wait for it.....yes, on the Food Network. (I'm sure you're wondering how I have time to work with all this Food Network watching!) But nevertheless, I had seen it and wanted to go there. 1. Because I saw it on tv and it looked good, and 2. It is owned by Sandra Bullock. I just love her!

We decided to leave the car at the hotel and walk....a theme that we had embraced all day. I wanted to be outside, walking around, feeling the warm breeze, as much as possible! It was my idea....a great idea. We went back to the hotel after our afternoon adventures and showered. I took time and rolled my hair, fixed my makeup, got all dressed for a night out on the town. I looked down.....down at my new 4" heels. There was no way I was going to make it to the restaurant in those. I stuffed them in my bag, put on my flip flops and we headed out. About five steps outside the hotel, I knew the hair and makeup were never going to make it - they had been a complete waste of time. The "warm breeze" seemed more like a hot wind storm. My hair was blowing everywhere! I'm sure my makeup was melting. Whose idea as this anyway? A lesiurely stroll to dinner on a Spring night? I was picturing a Hello Dolly stroll to dinner with Cornelius Hackle on my arm and I was getting the wind storm from How to Make an American Quilt. But at LEAST I had my flip flops! I was able to keep pace with David, even though I was constantly pulling the hair out from my face so I could at least see where I was going.

When we finally walked up, I stopped and changed shoes....fumbling with 4" heels and wind, it took me a few minutes to them on and fastened. I couple walked by in shorts and sandals...."That's why I wear Vans" the woman snidely remarked to her partner as she passed. "I HEARD THAT!" I wanted to yell. Where are we, Connecticut? We certainly weren't in Dallas...
The restaurant didn't disappoint. It was beautiful. The food was delicious. We had a great dinner. I grabbed this photo off the website, but it just so happens we literally ate at the table on the bottom left of this photograph right next to the the cabinet.

We split an HEIRLOOM TOMATO AND LOCAL MOZZARELLA SALAD: heirloom tomato salad layered with artisanal mozzarella, cracked pepper balsamic reduction and mizuna. (It was good, but it would have been MUCH better in the summer when tomatoes are really in season. We sopped up the extra aged balsamic with bread! SO GOOD! That was the salad saver on this dish.)

David had BACON SHRIMP & GRITS: grilled shrimp with a maple bacon gastrique and creamy cheddar grits. He loved it! I have to admit, they were the best grits I've ever had.
I had the PEPPERCORN CRUSTED FILET: pan-seared peppercorn crusted 8 ounce beef tenderloin served with mashed potatoes and braised cippolini onions with a veal glace. OH MY! The beef melted in your mouth. So tender! It was delicious.

It was all so good, we had to skip dessert! Now, when David skips dessert, that's a good meal!! We were STUFFED! We walked out....made the inevitable shoe change....and headed back toward the hotel.

Comments

Popular Posts