A Dallas Girl....

I love my husband. I really do. But sometimes........OH BOY!! Yesterday was an OH BOY!! If I didn't think he loved me so much, I'd think sometimes he just sets out to make me look like a fool for fun. But I guess ultimately it's me....he could take this girl out of Dallas, but no one is going to be able to take the "Dallas" out of this girl. I lived there over 30 years and I have a Dallas, Texas mindset. I'm a Dallas girl. I'm a big hair, heavy make-up, high heel gal. You've met me!! Okay, here's the story:

Wednesday afternoon David sent me an email with a pdf invitation attached. It was for a fundraising event for a children's charity, Children's Advancement Fund, Inc. It was a wine tasting/Shakespeare event/catered affair/silent auction with special emcee Scott Haney. (He's a local weatherman here in Hartford.) It was to be held at the Welles Shipman Ward House, which the Historical Society of Glastonbury had generously donated for the night. Sounded nice.

I emailed back. Sounds fun, but is it fancy? Do I have to wear a dress? If so, I'm not going. Let me know.

David emails back that he's asked his co-worker/former boss and work clothes will be fine. And he should know, his wife is hosting the event.

I email back and verify. Okay if I wear my black pants, silk top and heels will that be okay? He replies that's great. A few more emails pass throughout the day and we decide that I will meet them at his co-worker's house after work on Thursday. That's that. I'm happy to go and support the cause. It'll be fun. And I love Shakespeare!

I get up that morning get ready....do the whole hair routine. I get dressed and pack a bag to take with me to work including curlers and toothpaste, perfume and moisturizer. About 4:45pm, I plug in my curlers for a touch-up. I'm a little nervous that I'll be under dressed, but it's the best I can do right after work. I curl my hair in the car parking lot. Touch up my makeup and head out to meet everyone.

I pull in and no one is at the house. I call and David is still on his way. Great! More time. I reach back in my bag and pull out goodies, trying to look as presentable as possible.

They pull in the driveway and the first thing out of anyone's mouth is David's friend saying: "Kim, do you want me to get you a sweater?"

Me: blank stare & glance over at David.

David: The event is outside.

Me: blank stare. Well, blank stare probably isn't accurate. More of a "ARE YOU KIDDING ME??" stare.

So, off we go to the evening, outdoor event. Me, with curled hair down and whipping in the wind. Me, in a light short sleeve silk top and my nicest black heels. Me, with a big fake grin plastered on my face. "I'll be fine!" I smile and laugh. I cut David an "OH YOU ARE KILLING ME HERE" look.

We pull in and there are all the ladies are in their shorts, capris, jeans and FLAT shoes (some even in flip-flops). I parade around the event....in and out of the house that's like a "Little House on the Prairie museum".....in and out of the barn....over gravel walkways and grassy fields....to the out house......the storage shed......OH, so that's how they used to make clothes and bathe in "olden times"?  Well that's just neat! Yes, yes, I see how they used to carry the ice in the old trucks.....uh huh....great! Oh, across that field? Sure I can make it. That's where we are going? Okay! I paraded around that event looking like a COMPLETE IDIOT....heels nicely aerating the lawn with each step I took. Freezing. Once again looking like a stranger in a completely foreign land. An alien. That Dallas girl.

But my humiliation and all the looks from strangers aside, the event seemed a success. The food was good. The tours were a success. The auction went well and we even won a pair of Shakespeare in the park tickets for July by knowing that the monologue from Puck was A Midsummer Night's Dream. I'm looking forward to that! I'm also looking forward to the new pair of heels David will be buying me very soon! :) When I got home, my completely destroyed shoes looked like this:

Comments

Popular Posts