2011 In Review

It’s that time of year again. I can’t believe how fast 2011 went by. I like to recap my year … more for me than anyone else. Just interesting to see what all went on in the year. One thing about moving to a new place, there are still a lot of “firsts”. And so many more things I am looking forward to doing in 2012. Here are a few things that happened in 2011:
  • I won Mario Brothers on the wii in the warm house while enduring inches and inches of snow and cold weather outside.
  • I got my typical winter blues (they are right around the corner again I'm afraid)
  • Threw some dinner parties and had some new house guests.
  • Had snow up piled up on the curb from January to April.
  • Grandmommy turned 75.
  • Almost crashed on the road in the ice from The Chesterfield Inn to George and Nancy's house. But dinner was GOOD! So worth it!
  • Discovered the old Bantam theatre and decent BBQ in Connecticut!
  • Spent a day in Jersey seeing all the places David lived/grew up.
  • Got a new "fancy" blog.
  • Went to Austin with David and spent Easter in Texas. Had lots of Texas adventures.
  • David and Mary went 'round again with the Rangers. (They almost won this year!)
  • I discovered the airline trails.
  • We found a new church that we just love and we have opportunities to be more involved. We are looking forward to what we will do there in 2012.
  • I made my first mussels, ricotta, hollandaise, crab cakes and cioppino.
  • David planted a tree on the side of the house.
  • Went to the circus.
  • Walked (Nancy even crawled)through some of Devil's Hopyard.
  • My parent's visited for the first time! VERY FUN!
  • The Mavericks won the NBA Championship.
  • David's friend traded in the old boat for a new one.
  • Discovered the fish market, the Asian supply store and went to Frog Hollow for the first time. Good shopping!
  • Sadly, I only remember reading 3 and 3/4 books: Cowboy & Wills by Monica Holloway, Black Heels and Tractor Wheelsby Ree Drummond, Unbrokenby Laura Hillenbrand and most of The Help by Kathryn Stockett (didn't quite finish this one). I'll have to try harder in 2012 to get reading done.
  • Spent a day in The Berkshires.
  • Saw a few movies this year that I really liked: The King's Speech, Anonymous, Water for Elephants, The Help, and Moneyball.
  • The Oakes had their annual family vacation at the lake.
  • Ate at Firebox for the first time. I think it's my favorite restaurant.
  • Saw the beaches of Rhode Island for the first time. BEAUTIFUL!
  • Experienced my first hurricane and blackout for five days in August and ALL the new things that that experience brought on.
  • Saw Montgomery Gentry up close and personal at a little concert fundraiser.
  • Evan turned 13. We have a teenager in the house.
  • Took my first trip to Chicago.
  • Mom and Marsha came out for a visit and we had lots of adventures.
  • Went to my first Yankee game in Yankee stadium.
  • Had a second power outage in October after a big snow storm and Halloween was cancelled.
  • Geoffrey Zakarian became the Next Iron Chef. (Big watchings in our house). I discovered Chuck Hughes. The Biggest Loser got new trainers. (Also, big watchings in our house.) And The Chew started. My new daily addiction.
  • Went to my first corn maze and lost a camera feeding ducks.
  • Went apple picking for the first time and discovered white pumpkins.
  • Had a big family Thanksgiving in New Hampshire and then David and I had Thanksgiving in Texas where we had a professional photo shoot.
  • We got a milkman.
  • Had the prettiest Christmas tree I think I’ve ever had.
  • Spent a very Merry Christmas - quick trip - in Dallas with my family.
A good ending to a good year. Grateful for 2011 and looking forward to all 2012 has in store.

Comments

Popular Posts