Hmmm....


David sent me this article from CNN this morning. Quite interesting since I came home last night and said, "I'm not sure how much longer I can do it. I'm  just SO BORED!"  If you want to read the article click here. If not, here are the highlights that hit me:

"...Now, we get people quite commonly quitting higher paid jobs for jobs that are lower paid but more satisfying..."  I have been talking about that. Working for a charity or in a way that would help someone even though the salary is less. In fact, that's what I'm holding on to the most these days.  I am almost certain that's what I'll do and I look forward to where I will end up.

"...they feel guilty for wishing for more work. They start to compete with each other, become critical of each other's efforts, and become reflective about the futility of it all. "As they become unhappy, they become like big bears -- you just don't want to be around them..." Sounds familiar. Especially the part about the futility of it all. Oh, and the bear thing.

"...Six ways bored employees might harm their organizations: by abusing others, by "production deviance" (purposely failing at tasks), sabotage, withdrawal, theft and horseplay. Of these, the most common is withdrawal (absence, lateness, taking long breaks) says the University of South Florida's Paul Spector..."  Well, the other five aren't me. I'm not prone to abusing others, purposely failing, sabotage, theft or horseplay, but if I'm honest, I find myself withdrawing even if it's just mentally/emotionally.  And running late is more the norm than the exception. I seem to be hanging out in my cube waiting until 5:00 on Fridays trying to find ways to keep busy.

Ooops!  Well, on some level I feel better that I'm not the only one.  It's "normal" to feel the way I do. It's normal to want to work ... to contribute ... to do something worth while. On the other hand, I should be better than that and I'll have to try harder to work against my nature. I should be thankful and appreciative. I should always try to give 100% no matter what it is. I'll keep working on it.  

Comments

Popular Posts