Dinner Adapted

I ran across this blog today for Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms With Roast Tomatoes and Goat Cheese.  The photos were so pretty and the mushrooms looked SO GOOD!  I had to try it.  Well, I had to pin it.  Then I had to try it.  (Oh, to be a beautiful photographer and food stylist. Her  photos are SO MUCH nicer! For  great photos, see hers. But I bet mine were just as tasty or better!)

Per my usual, I get an idea from a tv show, a blog, a magazine and then I get in the kitchen and make it however I want based on what I have.  Here's what the recipe called for vs what I did:

REAL RECIPE
  • 4 large Portobello mushrooms
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoon finely chopped shallot (optional)
  • 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 4 ounces of plain goat cheese
  • 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
  • 1 tablespoons fresh chopped chives
  • 1 recipe of oven roasted tomatoes
WHAT I DID
  • 3 large Portobello mushrooms
  • olive oil
  • lemon juice and balsamic vinegar
  • red onion, grated into lemon juice
  • 1/2 garlic clove, grated
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • herbed goat cheese
  • basil leaves
  • chives
  • Sun dried tomatoes
(The roasted tomato idea looked SO GOOD! I can't wait to try that - maybe on a weekend with more time. Plus, we have a cherry tomato plant out front that I'm sure will be used for this very recipe. But the sun dried worked well for flavor and they were much quicker and easier.)


Bake 10-15 minutes at 375, until they "look done". Sprinkle with fresh herbs. YUM! Serve as an app or with bread and salad. So good.  Would be good on the grill too. Its basically a crustless pizza - you could put spinach or peppers or pesto or just about any cheese on it.  OH, I'm seeing baby portobellos on a tray as a party appetizer. You could get them all ready to go and put them in the fridge, then pop in the oven when the guests arrive for a hot app in about 10 minutes!

I served it over arugula dressed with a lemon juice and olive oil vinaigrette. 

Comments

Popular Posts