Citrus Salad

 
This is my citrus salad.  It would make a simple holiday side salad, morning breakfast, great snack. 
  • 2 large grapefruit
  • 6 small or 4 large navel oranges
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 1 Tlb olive oil
  • 1 Tlb honey
  • Black pepper 
  • Salt to taste (optional) 
I supremed the citrus over a bowl and collected the juice. I squeezed any excess juice from the rinds and the left over fruit into the bowl and well. Don't waste that good juice!  I put the fruit in a separate bowl. Into the fruit juice I whisked in the olive oil, honey, pepper and salt.  I added the fruit to the bowl and then the cranberries and lightly tossed, trying not to break up the fruit. I put mine in the fridge overnight to let the cranberries plump and the fruit absorb the flavors. One note: it's best served cold, but if you leave it out a few minutes or pop it in the microwave for 10 seconds to get the harsh chill off, the flavors are much better.
 
This is the simple budget version, but if you had a fresh herb like mint, thyme or even tarragon, I think it would be great to add to the dish. Dried cherries (or really any dried fruit) would be good. A tablespoon of pomegranate juice to the sauce or a sprinkle of pomegranate seeds might be nice. There are so many options, you can make it your own. Coconut? Sprinkle of a chopped nut or seed at the last minute? Sprinkle of granola? Possiblities are endless!

Comments

Popular Posts