Oakes Family Christmas in Connecticut

Saturday was The Oakes Family Christmas.  Jay and his kids came up and met Nancy and George in Connecticut at a hotel in Glastonbury. David and Evan met them there and the kids swam and they had lunch and then came over to our house in the afternoon.
 
My SNAP Challenge ended a little early this week. Saturday I spent the day chopping and prepping and cooking. I hadn't really been in the kitchen much this week, so I was glad to have a big meal to prepare.  I started out doing all the prep:
 
 
We had the typical mexican spread with guacamole, queso, taco fixins, corn salad, rice and beans.  Pretty simple. I made chicken enchiladas this time too.  They were a little worse for wear by the time we ate. They sat in the oven at 200 degrees for a while and were reheated at dinner time, so they were a little dry.  But I will definitely make them again one night and post the recipe. They were GOOD right out of the oven. The best I've made yet. 
 
I tried to get a few photos, but NOTHING came out well. I was so disappointed. It was dark and the people were moving around, of course. I just don't have the skill to capture photos like I wish I could. But here are a few anyway:
 





 
One of the presents Jay got was the Oakes Family Bible.  It was from 1857.  Very neat to look through.  Quite a family treasure:
 
 
 
 It's always fun to have everyone over.   I love that Nancy has a chance to just relax and enjoy her kids and grand kids and not worry about cooking or cleaning ... etc. She can have a relaxing day.  I know the kids LOVE it.  Fun to have everyone together for an early  Christmas Day. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Kimberly, so many thanks for providing such a delightful meal for us for our Christmas celebration. The house looked like a fairy land. What fun we had, and how much I enjoyed seeing the photos, remembering and cherishing the fun. Momma O ps, I am still laughing at the size of the tree. I have never seen one so fat. Gorgeous. xxoo

Popular Posts