My Version of Hazelnut Chicken with Apple Salad



I  haven't posted in a while, so thought I'd post dinner.  (Always easy).

Thursday nights are sort of "David Nights" around our house.  He works hard after work on Monday and Tuesday taking care of Evan and we have church until late on Wednesday, so his first real day to really kick back and relax is on Thursday. He usually has shows on the DVR that I don't want to sit through (usually involving cars or anything on the History Channel.)  And I try to make him something special for dinner ....  a departure from our usuals. 

Tonight we had chicken cutlets based on a recipe I saw on The Chew on Tuesday:  Mario's Hazelnut Veal Milanese.  We didn't have everything, but I followed the basic idea.

I used chicken breasts pounded out into cutlets instead of veal. I breaded the chicken in panko, hazelnuts, lemon zest, salt and pepper and a pinch of cayenne and cooked it in olive oil. Believe it or not we were out of butter. This could easily be gluten free if you just substituted the panko with gluten-free panko crumbs or maybe crushed Chex cereal.     

For the salad dressing I juiced a large lemon (I think the lemon was key in this salad ... you need that acidic pop with the richly coated chicken) and added Dijon, olive oil, honey, salt and pepper. I used a whole green apple, about 1/4 a medium size red onion, parsley leaves and toasted hazelnuts just as Mario did.  Delicious!

Comments

Popular Posts