My Lunch Buddy

Today at lunch I was driving around listening to a book and running a few errands. I needed to pick up copies for work and grab a couple things at WalMart. The weather was nice and I was enjoying my ride. Careless as could be. About 10 minutes into my lunch break I saw a mouse out of the corner of my eye in the passenger-side floor board. I'm not sure what I would have done if it had run over to my side. I tried to remain as calm as I could. It just moved in the corner of my eye so I wasn't sure the size or what it was exactly. I just knew that something was sharing my ride. I pulled into the first place I could (basically driving into traffic  on a left turn) and into a strip mall parking lot. I pulled into the first space I could see and jumped out. I opened both doors and grabbed my purse, looking for the "creature". 

It "just so happened" (Thank you, God) that David was out of work today. He was home with Evan. I called for advice at first. The mouse was all over the car. I had rattled it, but I couldn't scare it out of the car. Even on a gorgeous day, with both doors open. It was content to stay in it's little house. I managed to get this blurry shot when it was up on the back passenger-side window. 


I packed a salad in my purse this morning, so I took some of the kale leaves and put them in the floor board leading to the outside, hoping it would follow the trail (or at least get close enough to the open door I could scare it out.)  It was actually pretty cute sitting there eating kale. I should have tried to get that photo. But I was on the phone trying to get David to come and help me. Every time I tried to "scare it out" it ran back up in it's hiding spot under the glove box.  

Sweet David drove from Hebron to Wethersfield (About 25 miles - 30 minutes or so) to rescue me. I emailed work and told them what happened. I would be a little late. David got there quickly and the mouse hid.  David couldn't get him out. So, David gave me his car and took mine back.  Evan rode in the back seat in case the mouse made his appearance.  I got an email from David later on saying, "We just got home. I saw him a few times on the way home. We stopped at Ace and picked up some traps. It won't be too long before he is dead and out of your car." I'm not sure he could have said anything more romantic! My hero! 

I posted this on Facebook: "BEST (let me repeat that) BEST HUSBAND EVER! This was my surprise passenger buddy at lunch today. It about scared me to death. I couldn't get it out of the car, and was TERRIFIED to get back in the car, so I called David. He drove about 30 minutes to rescue me. He gave me his car and drove my car home (since the mouse went and hid when David got there.) He said he "saw him a few times on the way home and stopped to pick up some traps." I'm not sure what I would have done without David today. SO THANKFUL that I am married to someone so kind. I got back to work and told the story and the consensus was "my husband would have never drove all that way to help with a little mouse."  BEST HUSBAND EVER! Thank you, thank you, thank you for being the kind of husband that rescues me from mice without a complaint. I don't deserve you on my best day. THANK YOU!"

So THANKFUL to have David in my life. He teaches me constantly about being a better person.  Thankful, thankful. thankful.  

Comments

Anonymous said…
I would have been scared too. David is your hero in so many ways on so many days.

Popular Posts