Italian Market, Grilled Lamb & A New Toy

David got a new toy for his birthday: A Webber electronic meat thermometer, so the night after his birthday, we were going to grill some meat to perfection! On Thursday at lunch I popped over about two streets to Hartford's Little Italy: Franklin Avenue. I've told you about this place before. The cannolis at Mozzicato DePasquale Bakery and Pastry Shop. We ate the 7-course Roman Dinner at Carbone's with Kim and Greg on Franklin Avenue. There are some fun little shops and bakeries and restaurants. It's pretty run down now, but if you use your imagination, you can see that this used to be a really fun part of town!

Anyway, I went to D&D Market to get double-cut lamb chops, rosemary and polenta. When I walked into this tiny little market I could hear a loud New York accent in the back by the deli. The men were going back and forth, one louder than the next. It was funny ... felt like I had been transported to NYC. I've been here before, but it's been a long time. As soon as I walked in, I remembered why. Much like the Fish Market, the West Hartford Chinese Market and Stew Leonard's, I can't afford to go there very often. There is SO MUCH that I want to try!! There are all sorts of yummy cheeses in rinds, imported olive oils, balsamic vinegars, italian tomatoes, meats, salami and sausage, pasta of all varieties. And then there is the "deli/prepared case." Everything looks fresh and delicious. There are only about five aisles and I examined them all closely as I made my way back to the butcher. It's different than any meat case you would see in Texas. There were a few steaks and a little ground beef, but there were rows and rows of chicken cutlets, veal cutlets, beef and pork cutlets. They were all pounded out and waiting for a little Italian grandmother to roll them in breading and smother them in tomato gravy. There were sausages of all types - apple chicken and sage pork - wonderful fresh-made sausages I'v only seen on television. There was brisket and roast and everything looked so delicious. So Goodfellows. But I didn't see any lamb. "No Lamb," the butcher said. "We only carry that on holidays." Hmmmm....Well, no double-cut chops cut to order for me. It would be off to Stop and Shop and pre-package chops. But I got some fresh rosemary, the polenta, parsley, balsamic and my splurge ... a wedge of romano pecorino with the rind, as the parmigiano reggiano was way out of my price range. Maybe another time. (As an aside, I can't WAIT to make a soup or something with the rind. So Food Network!)


So for dinner we made:

Grilled Rosemary & Balsamic-Glazed Lamb Chops
Creamy Romano & Parsley Polenta
Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad with Toasted Walnuts
All Dotted With A Balsamic Pan Sauce

I marinated the chops for about 45 minutes or so in garlic, olive oil, baslamic vinegar, rosemary, honey, mustard, salt and pepper. Then I took that marinade recipe and made another mixture, minus the olive oil and put that in sauce pan to reduce.
I had read in Rachael Ray's magazine about a Thanksgiving brussel sprout and walnut side. I thought I made that last night, but upon further review of the recipe this morning, I realized that made something completely different. (Typical.) I made a "brussel sprout slaw" of sorts. I halved the fresh, raw brussel sprouts and then cut them into fine strips. I put salt and pepper and lemon zest/juice on them and set them aside while I was doing other things. Then later, I came back to them and added some of the grated pecorino I bought, a little olive oil and some hot toasted walnuts. Between the salt, lemon and slight heat of the nuts the leaves softened a little and it was delicious! Crunchy. Raw. Brussel Sprout Goodness. YUM! I cooked the polenta in chicken stock and milk. Added butter and cheese and parsley at the end. So, we had the creamy, warm, luxurious polenta with the balsamic glazed chops grilled to perfection and a cool, crunchy slaw. It was WONDERFUL!! And pretty fast and easy too. Everything was tied together with a drizzle of the sauce I reduced. I can't wait to try something else with the thermometer! And I'll let you know how my "So Food Network Cheese Rind Soup" comes out too!

Comments

Popular Posts