A Trip To Graham, Texas

Mom and I have started a tradition of taking a day trip every visit, just like we would when I lived there. Nothing I love more than a day adventure - up and out early and back home to sleep in your own bed. Last time it was to see the bluebonnets in Ennis, Texas. This time?  Graham, Texas. Reason? No reason, just googled and it came up as the largest downtown square in America.  Had to see it. If you aren't familiar with Graham, here's a map. It's about 2 1/2 hours from Allen.
 
 
On the way to Graham, we went through Jacksboro and stopped at the Dairy Queen. Not just any Dairy Queen though ... This is where mom and dad had their honeymoon. Yep, after they got married, they headed back home and stopped on the way and had a steak finger basket. Mom still has the napkin signed by all the waitresses. 40 years ago.  Looks different now, (no blizzards & free wifi back then) but it's still there. I bet most marriages that had a Dairy Queen honeymoon didn't last 40 years! :)
 

 
There is a wind farm east of Graham, Texas. Here's the best  photo that I got. They were much more impressive in person.
 
 
Here's a youtube video I found of the farm. It says "Footage of the wind farm located in South East Jack County in an area know as Barton Chappel, or Kinder Mountain. These images were taken from quite a distance off State highway 337 north of Graford, Texas." 
 

 
 
Then we made it to Graham for shopping and lunch.
 

 
We had a great time shopping. Our favorite shop was an old jailhouse that had been converted. 
 
 
David's lucky I couldn't ship home everything I wanted to buy! :) There were some GREAT furniture pieces and all kinds of dishes and knick-knacks. Mom bought me a pair of soup bowl that will be appearing in the blog soon I'm sure and she got a pair of iron mice that were SO CUTE! I should have got a photo, but I didn't. This guy was out front.

 
It was so fun to be in an old Texas town. It was a Brady, Mayberry and "Hope Floats" experience all in one. There was big hair, friendly accents, christian radio playing in the shops, slow-moving chatty sales people, and lots of Southern charm. We had lunch at Neri's on The Square ... turkey sandwiches and BLTs on homemade bread.  Delicious!
 
We had a great time in Graham!
 

Comments

Anonymous said…
always a great time being with you. i named my two iron mice graham and cracker..

Popular Posts